How PMs benefit our society

Previous topic - Next topic

dengorbachev

I've been reading the white papers, and was convinced by the "Snowden" case. In a flash of revelation, PMs made perfect sense.

So I reasoned other people might be convinced by this case, too — and decided to "remix" it into a separate post.

But I'm worried if my understanding of PMs is right. In particular, the claim that "[PMs] also use cryptocurrency instead of fiat, which provides the necessary anonymity." Isn't it actually pseudo-anonymity, and our hypothesized Snowden can still be tracked?

psztorc

Cryptocurrency, ie Bitcoin, gives the user the *ability* to be anonymous. It is very much like using the Internet...if you are careful, and know what you are doing, have VPN / TOR / clean computer, etc, you can use the Internet anonymously.

I personally have not read this book, but I met Kristov and he seemed to really know what he was talking about: http://anonymousbitcoinbook.com/products/e-book-anonymous-bitcoin
Nullius In Verba

dengorbachev

Thanks for clarifying. Overall, can I post the text without looking silly? :)

The reason for posting is to educate people on prediction markets. But there's a risk of mis-educating them, so that's why I'm asking for a peer review.

zack

It looks very good to me.
Are you translating this to a different language?

dengorbachev

To a language that non-technical people can understand, yes. At least, that's the intention.

Or did you mean another natural language (e.g. Russian)?

zack

I was wondering if you are going to translate it to Russian.
I assume it is hard for Russian speakers to learn about truthcoin.

At some point, truthcoin projects will start donating coins to people who translate ideas.
I heard that Augur is more popular in Chinese than English.

dengorbachev

The most popular Russian site for such a complicated topic is http://habrahabr.ru/. Let me tell you how it works.

1. Somebody publishes a post in English.
2. The English-speaking community upvotes the post.
3. The most prominent members of Russian-speaking community (who happen to know English) notice that the post is very popular.
4. Somebody translates the post into Russian.

So the best way to get a Russian version is to make an English post popular. Which brings us to the interesting question: what's the most popular place to publish it?

dengorbachev

I've expanded the post a little, including the links to relevant websites. Are you interested in getting it published?

zack

you don't consider my software to be a "major effort"?
It must be because I make it look easy  8)
https://github.com/BumblebeeBat/FlyingFox

Are you trying to get Paul to publish your essay on the hivemind blog? Or are you suggesting publishing it elsewhere?

dengorbachev

Sorry, Zack, I thought you were in stealth mode... Couldn't even find your surname :) What's the best way to credit you in the post?

The text could be published on my own blog, but the readership is zilch. Better to publish it as a guest post on CoinDesk / BitcoinMagazine / etc. I can submit it myself. However, if anybody (Paul?) is connected with those publications, the text would have a higher chance of being published. The publication itself will draw attention to PMs, so it's free marketing for PM developers, right?

zack