Augur open-sources its codebase

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

We just made this announcement and I wanted to share it here:

The Augur team has now gotten all the Augur contracts on the live Ethereum testnet.  All function calls have been tested (albeit naively, with more testing ongoing) and confirmed to be working.  Our code is now open source, and lots of documentation + a graphical UI will be coming very soon!

https://github.com/AugurProject/Augur-core

psztorc

That's interesting, I thought it was always open source.

I'm not sure, but my guess is that other people will be similarly confused. Instead the announcement will be read: "Augur was closed source once for some reason".
Nullius In Verba

Jack

Quote from: psztorc on April 27, 2015, 09:31:43 PM

I'm not sure, but my guess is that other people will be similarly confused. Instead the announcement will be read: "Augur was closed source once for some reason".

It was closed-source, but we always planned to open-source it as soon as it was live.  Now it's live, so we open-sourced it, as promised!

zack

I stopped working for Augur largely because of them not being open source.

joeykrug

You guys were the only ones who reacted this way haha, everyone else understood why it was prev. closed which we had stated multiple places many times (it was really messy & we didn't want feedback yet until some issues were worked out).

I don't like having codebases that don't run or don't run as expected open for public feedback, now that everything runs (at least on a basic level), feedback is great!

Quote from: zack on April 28, 2015, 05:57:46 PM
I stopped working for Augur largely because of them not being open source.
I thought it was b/c you got more $ working on tendermint ;)

psztorc

Quote from: joeykrug on May 11, 2015, 06:19:44 PM

You guys were the only ones who reacted this way haha, everyone else understood why it was prev. closed which we had stated multiple places many times (it was really messy & we didn't want feedback yet until some issues were worked out).

I don't like having codebases that don't run or don't run as expected open for public feedback, now that everything runs (at least on a basic level), feedback is great!

I think you're right...makes no sense to open source it, until it actually does something interesting.
Nullius In Verba

zack

Quote from: psztorc on May 13, 2015, 12:03:43 AM
I think you're right...makes no sense to open source it, until it actually does something interesting.

There aren't many examples of serpent code. The ethereum community was negatively impacted by the decision to keep the code secret.

Keeping secrets stopped developers who were interested in helping Augur for free.

joeykrug

Quote from: zack on May 13, 2015, 03:42:36 PM
Keeping secrets stopped developers who were interested in helping Augur for free.

I don't think so; every developer who asked to help was given access to the repo back when it was closed. 

Fair point on Serpent code

Anyway, it's open now :)